GTA02-core task diagram (was Re: Some questions I always wanted to ask)

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Wed Apr 22 15:02:27 CEST 2009

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Which number of layers,

I think it may be possible to bring this down to six layers, but
let's be conservative and assume we stay at eight.

> components,

About 300, with ~10-20 of them possibly needing special attention
(large BGAs, oddly shaped connectors, extra baking, special reflow
constaints, etc.)

This assumes we keep the RF items out. If we add them, e.g., as
Gerber copies, that's another ~200 components.

> units are you assuming?

Hard to tell. It depends on how many people would be crazy enough
to want to own a very expensive but otherwise hardly useful trophy
device and/or if some sponsor shows up. Assuming that we're on our
own and a price tag in the EUR 500-1000 region for PCB plus SMT,
probably not more than ten.

Oh, and the least we could do is print something like "I changed
the rules of the game and all I got is this lousy board." on it ;-)

> And how fast should SMT be?

I'd say getting a slot within 1-2 weeks should be good enough. The
actual SMT should be fast - they wouldn't want to keep our components
on their machines any minute longer than necessary.

- Werner