Welcome

Gerald A geraldablists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 18:29:17 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Werner Almesberger <werner at openmoko.org>wrote:

> Returning to the technical side, we don't have to wait for all of those
> decisions to be taken. If we consider an as-open-as-possible process,
> then there are obstacles that can be worked on even without having the
> full set of objectives mapped out.
>
> E.g., Openmoko relied on proprietary tools for EDA and CAD. Replacing
> them with Free Software would be desirable within the framework of
> trying to open the process.
>
> Would there be interest in starting such an activity ?

Ideally, and ideologically, I think yes. Long term, we should be looking at
replacing such tools.

Practically, I'm not sure. I don't know what the CAD guys want/need from
tools. I think of the Gimp, which in an early version was as useful as Adobe
tools to me. However, to an Artist friend, he said after playing with it a
long time, it was cute but mostly not ready for prime time.

So, I think the most important thing here is ... what are the requirements
for the software, and how do the guys working with the CAD files find
_current_ FOSS CAD programs?

Gerald.