gta02-core vs. new case design

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu May 21 21:18:18 CEST 2009

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> If we can't change the plastics I think we must use exactly the same
> components and positions so that everything fits nicely.

Yes. And if we can get the complete set of components from Openmoko,
we also don't need to worry about sourcing. Sourcing can be quite
hellish and expensive, so not having this problem helps a lot.

We can of course change things we don't like, e.g., replace
components we found troublesome (but this increases the cost) or
use the same component where previously different ones were used for
no good reason (to decrease the SMT cost).

> This brings me to a question if we already have a list of the part
> numbers, specifications of such components as the buttons, LEDs, SIM
> card holder, battery contacts, etc.

I've asked if Openmoko can release the GTA02v7 BOM. That BOM included
for most parts the information necessary to find the data sheets.

If some small piece of information isn't in any publicly available
material, anyone with access to Openmoko's non-public documents can
look it up and post it. That's something we've done all the time
anyway.

- Werner