recent KiCad vs. libboost

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu May 28 20:36:51 CEST 2009

Since bug fixes and small enhancements from the gta02-core project are
making it into KiCad mainline, it's best if we follow KiCad upstream
closely with the version of KiCad we're using to do things.

The KiCad developers are in general careful enough not to check in
things that break the build. Most of the checkin activity is around
the weekend while the rest of the week only gets a few commits.

The KiCad sources live here:
https://kicad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/kicad/trunk/kicad

The documentation is here:
https://kicad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/kicad/trunk/kicad-doc

And the default component libraries are here:
https://kicad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/kicad/trunk/kicad-library

The build process is detailed in the file COMPILING.txt
Please note that the top-level Makefile is generated by CMake.

KiCad requires libboost 1.36 or newer. If using an older
distribution, you may need to upgrade libboost. With Ubuntu 8.10,
this can be done as follows:

- To /etc/apt/sources.list add (without indentation)

  deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu karmic main restricted universe multiverse

- To /etc/apt/preferences add (without indentation)

  Package: libboost1.38-dev
  Pin: release a=karmic
  Pin-Priority: 900

- apt-get install libboost1.38-dev

A quilt stack of patches that haven't made into KiCad mainline (yet)
is here:
http://svn.openmoko.org/trunk/gta02-core/kicad-patches/

Note that eeschema-plot-only-mode.patch is required for the --plot
option expanded/Makefile uses to automatically generate a PostScript
file from the schematics.

I'm dropping old-boost-build-fix.patch now from our collection, since
it's only needed for an older libboost, and may actually cause
problems.

- Werner