gta02-core and external GPS antenna

Korbinian Rosenegger kroseneg at schmidham.net
Fri May 29 00:07:32 CEST 2009

Hi

I just noticed that i replied directly to Werner instead to the list, so
i resend it. Maybe the Reply-To header should be set by the list?

On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 16:53 -0300, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> There's one simplification that looks attractive to make in gta02-core
> and that's to remove the external GPS antenna connector. From what I've
> heard, this antenna is rarely used in the FreeRunner, and for
> stationary use, one could connect an external antenna to the socket for
> the internal antenna.

I use the external GPS antenna in my car, and it gives me a quicker and
better first fix. About 35 sec/7 satellites with and 45 sec/4 satellites
without antenna, IIRC. I haven't tested whether there is a difference in
accuracy while driving with antenna, and I don't know if there's any
difference between my GTA02v5 and a fixed GTA02v6.

As an user I could live without the external connector.
I guess the PCB design changes in a way that there are not just some
parts missing, so guys with SMD solder skills can't just re-add the
external connector.

> - removing the connector leaves an empty hole in the case

What about using this empty hole for IrDA?
If the IR-LED has enough power it could also be used as a remote control
(i guess, never tried that).

cu Korbi