Y-cable and USB-OTG: mutually exclusive

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Apr 29 05:52:04 CEST 2008

joerg at openmoko.org wrote:
> So to supply power to GTA04 - and to peripheral while still not draining
> GTA04's battery - while USB is connected to some USB-OTG-peripheral device
> (host mode with external power), it seems the best (and only) way this can be
> done is to have some dedicated non-usb power connector available at GTA04.

Could we use the debug port for this ?

That would mean that you couldn't have

- Neo-powered USB peripherals AND
- an external power supply AND
- JTAG/serial console

all three at the same time, but that doesn't look like too nasty a
restriction to me.

As an added benefit, this would ensure that you can access the debug
port while the system is operating "normally", so I can stop worrying
that someone may end up obstructing it ;-)

- Werner