Y-cable and USB-OTG: mutually exclusive

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Tue Apr 29 06:08:45 CEST 2008

Werner Almesberger schrieb:
> joerg at openmoko.org wrote:
>> So to supply power to GTA04 - and to peripheral while still not draining
>> GTA04's battery - while USB is connected to some USB-OTG-peripheral device
>> (host mode with external power), it seems the best (and only) way this can be
>> done is to have some dedicated non-usb power connector available at GTA04.
>
> Could we use the debug port for this ?
>
> That would mean that you couldn't have
>
> - Neo-powered USB peripherals AND
> - an external power supply AND
> - JTAG/serial console
>
> all three at the same time, but that doesn't look like too nasty a
> restriction to me.
>
> As an added benefit, this would ensure that you can access the debug
> port while the system is operating "normally", so I can stop worrying
> that someone may end up obstructing it ;-)
>
> - Werner

:) :) :)
VERY GOOD idea!!! :)
Ok, this one will work for sure, I'll keep an eye on it.

Having a 1.Xmm coax power connector on the outside to allow for everyday
regular use with *very* usual off-the-shelf power adapters is a
different thing, that's to be decided upon by product *design* (Sean_M-P
in the end?). I like the idea, but seems there's not much support from
anybody else. Nevermind.

/jOERG