Y-cable and USB-OTG: mutually exclusive

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Apr 29 11:43:26 CEST 2008

Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> And we lose our USB-OTG cert,

The question is also whether we care about such a certification, or if
we're happy with complying with the relevant parts of the standard and
don't put any fancy labels on the box.

> it surely will hit us
> with two (identical!!!) external USBcon.

Well, now here's a challenge for our ID team ;-) "Make it mechanically
the same, yet distinct enough that people won't confuse it."

One idea I had was to just put a bright red rubber plug into debug-USB
socket, and mention it somewhere on the in-the-box documentation (e.g.,
picture, "This port is for power and debugging.", and a URL on the
welcome carda). That will make people notice that there _is_ a
difference, and they'll probably remember this even after they've lost
that little red plug.

By the way, do we still need that Y-connector if we feed power into
the debug-USB socket ?

By the way 2: drawing power from debug-USB also needs charger detection
and a current limiter for 100mA vs. real power.

- Werner