GTA04 Block V4

Ian Stirling OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com
Mon Aug 11 20:16:19 CEST 2008

Werner Almesberger wrote:
<snip>
Of small CPUs
> The nicest one I found is the ST STM32F103 series, but they still eat
> about 9mA at 8MHz (top speed is 72MHz, but then you need a crystal and
> 50mA), and 14uA in "Stop". (The low-power modes are similar to the big
> ARMs, just the overhead is greatly reduced. Note that "Standby" here
> loses the RAM content, so one has to use "Stop" to do something useful.)

Coincidentally I've just been looking at the datasheet.

This is the figure for running on an external oscillator.

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/13587/stm32f103c6.pdf

See page 40 - running from the internal 8MHz high-speed oscillator, you
can set the clock all the way down to the point where it uses 0.5mA at 2V.

(4% battery used in a week assuming a 3.6V 1200mAh battery)

Interestingly, some of these devices also offer USB. Exactly why this is
interesting, I'm unsure :)