Removing the display of the GTA02?

Joachim Steiger roh at openmoko.org
Tue Aug 12 03:39:45 CEST 2008

Matthias Katzengruber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our current project is to control a small helicopter with the GTA02 on it.
> So my question is, if there is a easy way to remove the display of the
> phone without destroying it.

should be no problem.
i dunno about the drivers (if they are happy when there is no lcm
connected) but if not, that could be hacked in.

otherwise take a look at these picture:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/images/a/af/Gta02a5_pcba_cs.JPG

and look for the fpc connector on the upper right corner

and these:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Connecting_Neo1973_with_Debug_Board_v2#Neo1973_connector_closed

for how to connect and disconnect fpc cables.

the LCM uses a very similar connector as the debug board does.

the only difference in handling is that the lcm connector should also
have some of the grey/silver metal shielding tape over it.

remove it carefully.

then open the conn and remove the cable. close the conn.

to get the display off you need to carefully pull it off (glued down
with sticky tape on 2 stripes accross the black rubber layer below the lcm.
the rubber rips easily, so be carefull if you want to reassemble it later.

> Because it is quite heavy and we don't really need it.

;) so you drone can't lift the usual 400gramms and up?

just joking.. nice project.

have fun.

kind regards

--