GTA04 Block V4

Ian Stirling OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com
Tue Aug 12 04:12:33 CEST 2008

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Ian Stirling wrote:
>> Interestingly, some of these devices also offer USB. Exactly why this is
>> interesting, I'm unsure :)
>
> USB would allow us to use such an MPU to implement most of the key
> functionality of the debug board, i.e., JTAG and the serial console.
>
> Granted, it would be a bit of work, but I'd be rather happy if we
> could get rid of the debug board and its fragile attachment.
>
> Unfortunately, it's still uncommon for these MPUs to have a mode for
> but that one is a bit inflexible in other regards.

Not USB no.
http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/an/13801.pdf Documents
'system memory mode'.

And http://www.st.com/mcu/forums-cat-5952-23.html confirms it can't be
overwritten.
This is a serial bootloader.

I think you can always mass-erase the chip though, so a USB bootloader
would not survive malicious users.

> Alternatively, a "foolproof" protection of a boot area in Flash that
> could in turn set up USB would be suitable. But I haven't found that
> either.
>
> My wish list would look like this:

As I read it, some of the STM32 family tick most of these.
Arm, one supply (2-3.6), most IO 5V tollerant, quite low current - 14uA
remembering. Not quite dirt cheap, $3.5 at 1K, and digikey doesn't seem
to stock the BGA parts.

Missing wide supply range, single crystal (though you can supply 32KHz
clock to other stuff) (or single crystal if you don't want USB or RTC,
no crystal if you don't want either)