GSM-noise "buzz" issue

steve steve at openmoko.com
Tue Aug 12 18:27:23 CEST 2008

Thanks jOERG.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joerg Reisenweber [mailto:joerg at openmoko.org]
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2008 5:07 AM
To: hardware at lists.openmoko.org; steve; sean at openmoko.com
Subject: Re: GSM-noise "buzz" issue

To keep updated all those who are interested in details:
Seems we finally found enough of the working mechanism of GSM-interference,
to promise we will be able to stop it.
More details: JK4401 hs-receptacle isn't shielded and obviously the contact
springs catch RF and feed it to the audio-path. Pin4 (MIC) is our suspect #1
so far. We are about to test different reworks to fix the issue for the
different classes of devices (like: sold A5, already produced A6, still to
SMT A6, A7 prototypes).
So far our results on tests (only tests with positive results mentioned ;)
are:
removing JK4401 seems to stop noise completely (obviously no option for a
fix ;-).
Shielding JK4401 with copperfoil-sticky, which is connected to GND by
soldering it to nearby can, yields some reduction of noise, but isn't
sufficient to ultimately fix the issue. Also won't help on noise via
connected headset.

I will keep you updated.
Please note all this IS NO RECOMMENDATION FOR A REWORK, and we can't answer
any questions yet beyond what I've reported above.

cheers
jOERG