GTA04 Block V4

Ian Stirling OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com
Fri Aug 15 17:31:51 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:

> |> Really USB host is very "usable" and flexible for these tasks.
>
> | It mandates a microcontroller, USB and programming,
>
> So what?

For some things - switches and buttons - it's a complication beyond just
jamming an I2C peripheral on there.

> | and can't do wakeup well.
>
> Citation needed.

To clarify - as I understand it the likely power draw required for the
SC* to be awake enough to do USB suspend negotiations is rather high.
Plus it'd require a 5V source alive all the time.

> Preferring a ratsnest of wires soldered into the product is insane.

Very insane, and sorry if I was unclear.

I was suggesting simply pulling the existing debug connector, replacing
it with a similar, much more robust one.

20 way 0.5mm FPC connectors are available off-the-shelf inexpensively.
This would make it useful for expansion, in addition to its primary
purpose, in a way that the existing one is not.