No subject

Tue Aug 26 14:49:35 CEST 2008

some sense of the information.  Along with what Joerg had said, the state
files can be a pain to sift through because they are generic or used
differently in the openmoko configuration.

My largest concern is attempting to make sense of the controls, because the
only way I was able to re-map them was to search the source for the generic
"name" string, then look up what the register they modified was in the
datasheet, and *then* determine what function the control has.  It seems to
be a clouded way to work with the system, considering all the documentation
is generic, minus that block diagram I've been using...

(http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Image:WM8753_ALSA_Mapping.png)  <--my only
saving grace, but only for the controls listed on the diagram...

It would be very helpful if I had information about how the controls are
interfaced for GTA01/02, or what each of the 95 controls logically changed
in GTA01/02.  In addition, its difficult to determeine the funcation of
controls such as #90, most capture controls due to the ambiguity.

I am using a GTA01v4- and can anyone recommend the best (most recent/stable)
GTA01 standard image to use for (audio/BT) development?

-Kyle

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Joerg Reisenweber <joerg at openmoko.org>wrote:

> Am Mi  1. Oktober 2008 schrieb Mark Brown:
> > On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 05:13:37PM +0200, Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> >
> > > I tried to find name of a registers this way, but this code is so
> nested
> and
> > > cryptic and poorly commented, I really didn't success to understand the
> logic
> > > behind the data structures and defines.
> >
> > The actual register definitions are pretty direct AFAICS - the text
> > string with the user visible control name is immediately next to the
> > register names - for example:
> >
> >   SOC_DOUBLE_R_TLV("PCM Volume", WM8753_LDAC, WM8753_RDAC, 0, 255, 0,
> dac_tlv),
> >
> > is a control callled "PCM Volume" at bit 0 with value up to 255 in the
> > LDAC and RDAC registers.  Obviously, YMMV but it shouldn't be too hard
> > to find the user-visible name for a register bit or vice versa, I'd have
> > thought.
>
> 60sec reality check:
> PCF50633UM2.00.pdf -> search "RDAC" -> "error: no occurrence found"
>
> Also I'm pretty sure the "user visible control name" isn't exactly what you
> get to see in alsamixer for example. Furthermore they are often wrong as
> they
> don't regard our particular hw-setup, where GSM-mic sensitivity is
> something
> like "mono sidetone playback volume" or such weirdness.
> The situation resembles using a "genuine PS/2 mouse" driver for a synaptics
> touchpad. I really don't think there is any value or sane rationale behind
> using a generic upstream driver for a very OM-specific hw-design, the usual
> way for all hardware is manufacturer of device creates tailored-to-suit
> drivers for their product, admittedly based on chip manuf's generic chip
> driver sources usually.
>
> /jOERG

------=_Part_20431_13705850.1223076336724

&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; I tried to find name of a registers this way, but this code is so nested<br>
and<br>
&gt; &gt; cryptic and poorly commented, I really didn&#39;t success to understand the<br>
logic<br>
&gt; &gt; behind the data structures and defines.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The actual register definitions are pretty direct AFAICS - the text<br>
&gt; string with the user visible control name is immediately next to the<br>
&gt; register names - for example:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &nbsp; SOC_DOUBLE_R_TLV(&quot;PCM Volume&quot;, WM8753_LDAC, WM8753_RDAC, 0, 255, 0,<br>
dac_tlv),<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; is a control callled &quot;PCM Volume&quot; at bit 0 with value up to 255 in the<br>
&gt; LDAC and RDAC registers. &nbsp;Obviously, YMMV but it shouldn&#39;t be too hard<br>
&gt; to find the user-visible name for a register bit or vice versa, I&#39;d have<br>
&gt; thought.<br>
PCF50633UM2.00.pdf -&gt; search &quot;RDAC&quot; -&gt; &quot;error: no occurrence found&quot;<br>
Also I&#39;m pretty sure the &quot;user visible control name&quot; isn&#39;t exactly what you<br>
get to see in alsamixer for example. Furthermore they are often wrong as they<br>
don&#39;t regard our particular hw-setup, where GSM-mic sensitivity is something<br>
like &quot;mono sidetone playback volume&quot; or such weirdness.<br>
The situation resembles using a &quot;genuine PS/2 mouse&quot; driver for a synaptics<br>
touchpad. I really don&#39;t think there is any value or sane rationale behind<br>
using a generic upstream driver for a very OM-specific hw-design, the usual<br>
way for all hardware is manufacturer of device creates tailored-to-suit<br>
drivers for their product, admittedly based on chip manuf&#39;s generic chip<br>
driver sources usually.<br>
/jOERG<br>

------=_Part_20431_13705850.1223076336724--