[sound]: capacitor that act like a high-pass filter and so removes the bass on the headphones jack

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 17:23:24 CET 2008

On Wednesday 26 November 2008, zerghase wrote:
> Can someone please explain, how such an adapter had to look like (maybe a
> circuit diagram), because I'd like to build one.

It'll be an active circuit so will need power. That means batteries, or
getting power from USB. Most likely it'll use an opamp or headphone amp chip
in an active filter arrangement. It's almost a textbook case of a bass boost
circuit - just pick the frequency so the boost starts at the same frequency
as the bass rolloff starts on the Freerunner. This should give you some
ideas:
http://headwize.com/projects/showfile.php?file=equal_prj.htm

Having said that it'll be quicker, cheaper and easier to buy a usb headset.
You can always cut off its headphones and solder on a 3.5mm socket instead.

> I think in most cases, people will use an adapter
> from the 2.5mm to a 3.5mm jack anyway.
> Will the audio quality be equal with an adapter to the hw fix?

It'll be close if you do it well.

> If not, is  there a description
> of a hw fix for it (Joerg, you say there are different ways, so i assume
> you have already
> done or at least designed one)?

This thread is the closest so far AFAIK. I haven't actually tried it yet.
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/hardware/2008-September/000558.html