[sound]: capacitor that act like a high-pass filter and so removes the bass on the headphones jack

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 27 00:44:41 CET 2008

On Wednesday 26 November 2008, zerghase wrote:
> Thank you for your advice.
> An adapter with an additional power source is out of the question for me. I
> do have a USB-headset, but that's out of the question, too, because I want
> to be able to play music while charging the Freerunner.
> So, I disassembled my Freerunner, and shorted the two caps you were talking
> about in the other thread[1][2]. I used conductive silver, because I don't
> own the equip that is needed for SMD soldering, and the danger of
> destroying something without heat is minor. Then I built an adapter for my
> headphones, and tested it with different capacitors. With 1µF, the bass was
> cut off just as with the internal 1µF caps. Then I tried 10µF, 100µF and
> even without any capacitor, and I had always a good sound with full bass,
> and there was absolutely no difference between the three solutions.
> I have no clue why the capacitor is needed (or why it's needed at all), but
> for me it works great without it. Maybe it is handled already inside the
> IC? Is this possible?

It's good to hear someone's actually tried a mod :-)

Caps in that position are usually to block dc on the output, especially with a
single sided power supply. You may want to check for dc on the output before
running without caps for an extended period if you value your headphones. I
haven't checked the datasheet for this amp so it's possible it's handled by
the chip already, but I would be surprised. Bigger caps will give a lower
cutoff frequency, but if 10uF sounds good you may as well stick with it as
they'll be physically smaller.