Adding addtitional Sensors to Openmoko

Alastair Johnson alastair at truebox.co.uk
Mon Oct 6 15:30:36 CEST 2008

Michael Tansella wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we want to create an additional Board which includes some sensors bundled with
> a Microcontroller. What do you think is the easiest way to connect it with
> the Openmoko. Can we use an UART Port, if yes, what's the best way to get
> access to it?
> AFAIK we have 3 UART Ports available. One is used for GSM Modem one for GPS
> and one for Console.
>
> I don't understand what's the third one (Console) for. Can we use it for our
> project?
>
> Do you recommend another possibility? SPI?Are there any free ports which are
> supposed to be used for hardware extensions?
>
> We would like to avoid using USB because of its complexity.

The debug connector has i2c and SPI on it, and most or all of the
required pins lead to test points which may give easy soldering access.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/I2C
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner_Hardware#Debug_Board_Connector_definition

It would be great to have an internal expansion connector in future
phones so that people could make use of these, and possibly usb, without
having to solder to the board.