GTA04 SoC/CPU and LCD size

Pritam Ghanghas lists4pghanghas at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 17:44:30 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Pritam Ghanghas
<lists4pghanghas at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:02 PM, thomasg <thomas at gstaedtner.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> wrote:

>> Like I said, there will be (or already is, didn't do any further research a
>> FOSS driver for the DSP in the OMAP3. After all it doesn't look that magic,
>> it just is pretty damn fast.
>> The beagleboard people are on it and already using it and it seems to do a
>> great job in decoding videos and other things.
>> It also seems that the beagleboard guys are not only in touch with TI but
>> also that TI is heavily included in the development of this platform and
>> highly interested in the open source platform.
>> Of course that wont help with the PowerVR issue, because that's a 3rd party
>> product (the only relevant one in OMAP3 afaik).
>> But however, there is omapfb for unaccelerated graphics output.
>>
>> Maybe some of the beagleboard developers are reading this list, too - it
>> would be great if they could enlighten us.
>
> As I already mentioned for PowerVR also, there will be a open source
> kernel driver with a binary user space
> driver port.
> you can have a look at the following portion from the url
> http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard
>
> Graphics accelerator
>
> OMAP3530 used on BeagleBoard contains a graphics accelerator (SGX)
> based on the SGX core from Imagination Technologies. PowerVR SGX530 is
> a new generation of programmable PowerVR graphics and video IP cores.
> Only the kernel portions of Linux drivers will be open source. The
> PowerVR folks will provide binary user-space libraries. Using the
> EMail contact at TIs Mobile Gaming Developers page there are Linux
> v2.6 OMAP3430 SDKs for OMAP3 Zoom and SDP supporting OpenGL ES v2.0,
> OpenGL ES v1.1 and OpenVG 1.0 available.
>
> This is the maximum you will be available to get from any vendor
> without signing a NDA.
> I still dont understand openmoko is so keen on Samsung. Is it giving
> them some platform maturity advantage as all their
> products till now had Samsung SoC. There is no doubt OMAP3 is better.
> And I am sure that TI would have contacted them
> and offered all the help because they are seemingly contacting and
> endorsing every open source project out there.

why was this discussion thrown in cold. Or everyone is on the same
plane except me. Or
Openmoko has already decided and its set in stone. I still believe
using 6410 in GTA04 is nothing less a disaster than usage of glamo in
GTA02. Please have a good discussion on it in your team before you go
ahead with Samsung.

Thanks,
Pritam.