GSM-noise "buzz" issue

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Fri Oct 31 20:45:33 CET 2008

Am Fr  31. Oktober 2008 schrieb Angus Ainslie:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> wrote:
>
> > Angus, I talked to Candy here in .tw the last few days about this, she
> > actually did the work to perform the tests Joerg is talking about.
> >

> Did she use a 100uF cap ?
>

> > One thing you can try that is quite simple and easy is to override
> > MICBIAS net by a ~1.5V battery on it to 0V.  She told that this alone
> > removes the buzz, it would be good to know if you can reproduce.
> >

> That probably would work. I don't think I'm going to try it as I have had
> some results with the cap fix.
>
> Initially I tried using the 100uF cap that was suggested. It kind of worked.
> there was no buzz but there was also almost no gain from the mic.

You HAVE to replace R4303 0R with a 2k2 !! (check R from mic housing MIC4301:2
to GND! Has to be 2k2, will read 0R usually)
Otherwise this cap fix CAN NOT work. Refer to schematics, please.

> Voice
> wouldn't get transmitted but blowing on the mic would. I removed the 100uF
> cap and then used a 1uF cap. Ther buzz was gone, a slight hum still remains
> that might have been coupling from one of the other devices in the room. I'm
> going to try in a less signal saturated environment later.
>
> I think I'd also like to try it with MICBIAS raised to the 0.9 multiplier.

Probably won't change that much - interesting to hear of your results
nonetheless.

> Is that done in the bootloader or in kernel space ? Could someone generate a
> an updated kernel with the higher mic bias ?
>
> Prep the ground plane for the 100uF cap. The to photos are the same the
> smaller one is just for bandwidth reduced diets.
>
> http://handheldshell.com/DSCN0386_small.JPG
> http://handheldshell.com/DSCN0386.JPG
>
> Cap in place
>
> http://handheldshell.com/DSCN0387_small.JPG
> http://handheldshell.com/DSCN0387.JPG
>
> Jumper wire attached

You also could have used the empty pad more near to the left side (R4304)
Wire should be kept as short as possible (to reduce "antenna")

> http://handheldshell.com/DSCN0388_small.JPG
> http://handheldshell.com/DSCN0388.JPG
>
> With the 1uF cap.
>
> http://handheldshell.com/pa310077_small.jpg