GPS soft baseband processing

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 03:15:10 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 02:15, Flemming Richter Mikkelsen
<quatrox at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if this is interesting, but I assume it can
> help save some power and provide more flexibility.
> It could also help us in the direction to less proprietary
> firmware, if I understand it correctly.
>
> From MAXIM Engineering Journal - Volume 63:
> "The MAX2769 transfers raw recovered data to the PC
> host, which executes the baseband decoding in
> software, thus eliminating the baseband ASIC typically
> required in stand-alone GPS systems. In short, the
> MAX2769 enables designers to implement an adapter
> capable of handling GPS and Galileo signals using a
> single chip."
>
> From http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/5241:
> "The MAX2769 is the industry's first global navigation
> satellite system (GNSS) receiver covering GPS,
> GLONASS*, and Galileo navigation satellite systems
> on a single chip."

The article from MAXIM mentioned that one geotate.com
provides such software (prob. proprietary). A quick look
at geotate.com gives a good overview of why this chip
might be good:
"Our automatic geotagging technology solves these
problems. A fragment of RAW GPS RF data is captured
in 0.2 seconds and then stored alongside the digital image
and the processing is performed later on a PC. Because
we separate the GPS capture from the GPS processing,
our technology maintains the traditional "instamatic" user
experience we are all used to and then pulls consumers
to experience a far more interesting way to search and
share photographs later."