MSP430, with or without OS

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Sat Sep 13 04:08:39 CEST 2008

Am Mi  10. September 2008 schrieb Werner Almesberger:
> Clinton Ebadi wrote:
> > the mps430 was deemed perhaps a bit overkill for this,
>
> The MSP430 wasn't quite overkill, just the specific (fairly large,
> to have spare resources) chip we chose for use during development
> left the incorrect impression that it would be big and expensive
> also in the final product, and thus drew friendly fire.
>
> > but in the end it seems that the anti-mpu folks won (or perhaps not).
>
> This war had some more battles :) Current status is that it looks
> bad for the MPU again (on any product), but also that we'll have
> a more flexible debricking solution (which was one of the tasks
> we considered giving the MPU) in future products anyway.
>
> It would probably make sense to separate MPU-related R&D from any
> specific products, so that it can be considered a building block
> that can be included or not for a certain feature set, and not
> something where one has to haggle over every tiny little piece of
> functionality over and over again.
>
> Anyway, it's not a priority item today.

Anyway, I like it for GTA04 ;-)
Info in this thread looks good
Has been my idea from beginning to have a minimal OS on this uC, which would
non-breakably care about things like charging and interrupt handling (from
g-meters, GSM, etc), but also would allow to download
restricted "userland"-code to implement things like VoIP handling and
wake_from_suspend on WLAN, or custom blinken-lights

The idea was to place this chip wired-AND/OR on top of the existing system, so
it wouldn't make any difference whether it's there and passive, or whether we
got a device where it's NC.

uC isn't dead ;-)

/jOERG