Problem in Assembly Language Programming for Openmoko

Waqar Ali waqar_openmoko at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 13 14:20:22 CEST 2009

We are working on a project that needs use of assembly language, to develop low-level programs for Openmoko. However, I am facing a problem while using assembly.

When I write a very simple program (that just exits the program on arm architecture):

..section .text
..globl _start

_start:
SWI 0x11

and compile it using GNU Assembler, provided with the toolchain for Openmoko. It just compiles fine, and then it is also linked and run fine using the Openmoko Toolchain. As shown below:

[root at dhcppc7 arm]# arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-as test.S -o test.obj
[root at dhcppc7 arm]# arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-ld test.obj -o test
[root at dhcppc7 arm]# arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-run test

It works fine. (I have also tried it to print text on screen it also works fine when using arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-run simulator, but never works when sent to Openmoko)

However, when I copy this compiled file test to Openmoko and run it there it gives this error:

root at om-gta02:/usr/src/assembly# ./test
Illegal instruction

The exact statement at which the error occurs is:

SWI 0x11

and the error is same for all numbers given after SWI except for 0x0.

However, I have written and tried programs that does not use any software interrupts and they work just fine.

Please help me how can I use software interrupts, It would be of great help in our project.

Regards,
Waqar Ali
Research Engineer,
Next Generation Intelligent Networks Research Center (NexGin RC)