cpu usage way too high (?)

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen rask at sygehus.dk
Mon Feb 2 02:43:55 CET 2009

On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 04:08:25PM +0100, Daniel Spies wrote:
> Recently I tried to play a .ogg file for the first time (also .mp3) and am
> really confused about the cpu usage again. I tried to play it in vlc, but this
> doesn't work at all.

> Playing in alsaplayer is nearly impossible, the song
> laggs like hell.

   There's something broken in alsaplayer. It uses around 50 % CPU even when
not playing. xmms2 plays Ogg Vorbis without too much trouble.

   It also appears than any sort of write to the SD-card (even just 4 kB)
can interrupt audio. I don't know if it's down to the hardware or a kernel
bug. Reading from the SD-card seems to work fine.

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen