Bug #1024 (oscillating re-camping), a possible solution.

Daniel Willmann daniel at totalueberwachung.de
Sun Jun 7 16:23:01 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Fri, 29 May 2009 22:58:53 +0200
Joerg Reisenweber <joerg at openmoko.org> wrote:

> Last not least: probably a better battery management will have more
> positive effects on standby time than fixing #1024 in hw and using
> AT%sleep=4 all the time. First raw estimations seem to suggest
> there's an increase in standby time from maybe 60h with sleep2 to 75h
> with sleep4. If your standby time is shorter than these figures then
> even percentage of difference gets *smaller* (e.g. like 20h vs 21h =
> 5%, instead of 60/75 = 25%), due to savings from sleep4 becoming
> negligible compared to higher suspend consumption of whole system.

I ran a battery consumption test on my #1024 fixed freerunner, the
results of which can be seen here:
http://totalueberwachung.de/blog/2009/06/03/freerunner-deep-sleep-standby-time

I got close to 6 days worth of standby time (143h) which I found rather
impressive. The phone was not used at all for calls so the value
represents an upper limit, but I checked that the GSM modem was still
operational by calling the device at the end. I'm currently repeating
the test once more and will post an update once it's done, but it seems
we'll be in the 130-140h region again.

Regards,
Daniel Willmann