Fast charging and the resistor trick

Sven Klomp sven at klomp.de
Fri Mar 6 10:11:27 CET 2009

Hi,

I have a microcontroller based USB device and want to connect it to the
Freerunner (in host mode). Now I need some clarifications on the resistor
trick:

The two 15k Ohm resistors are indispensable to comply with USB-spec?
What will happen if I connect the device (with the resistors) to the USB port
of my computer? (The external power supply is turned of)

How do I have to design the USB endpoints on the device, so the Freerunner
does charge with 1A? Or do I need the 47k Ohm resistor if the FR is in host
mode?

At
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Specialized_USB_cables#How_to_make_a_USB_cable_for_powering_attached_USB_devices_and_charging_the_Neo_while_in_host_mode_.28aka_Y-
Cable.29
it is written that "Future kernels should switch to hostmode + external power
when seeing this 47k resistor." Is this already implemented?

Furthermore, it is mentioned that the resistors can be used to avoid suspend
of the Freerunner. I hope, I still can suspend if I want?

Thanks for your help
Sven

P.S.: If you wonder, what are my plans, have a look here:
http://mokowecker.klomp.eu :-)