Backlight Power Measurement

Aaron Carroll xaaronc at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 08:48:27 CEST 2009

2009/10/10 Paul Fertser <fercerpav at gmail.com>:
> Aaron Carroll <xaaronc at gmail.com> writes:
>> To determine backlight power, I've got a DAQ sampling the
>> voltage drop across R1763 (Rsense for the PCF50663 LED
>> supply) which gives me the current, and I'm sampling LED+
>> at C1764 for the input voltage.  I was hoping the product
>> of these two would yield the power consumed by the
>> backlight and Rsense.
>
> You've got quite puzzling and unexpected results indeed. Could you
> please provide us with the actual measurements data?

Here's some data.  Each point is the average of 1000 samples @ 100 kHz,
alternating between voltage and current samples.

The percentages are backlight brightness according to the position of
the brightness slider (the phone runs Android).

BL is the backlight, with I measured across R1763, and V at C1764.
IN is measured at the battery with no other external connections,
with the current measured via a 100mohm resistor in series with (+).
The power is just the product of the quoted V/I.

To be completely accurate, the backlight figures are not raw measurements,
because they are scaled via an opamp-based attentuator before feeding
into the DAQ.  The values are scaled back up in software, and I have verified
this all happens correctly with an accurate meter.

Let me know if I can provide more details or measurements.

Thanks,
   -- Aaron

===========x8============

100%: