Power management concept...

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Tue Apr 24 14:32:10 CEST 2007

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 01:13:28PM +0100, Ian Stirling wrote:

> S3C2410A manual - chapter 7 - page 21.
>
> IDLE mode: The block disconnects clocks (FCLK) only to the CPU core
> while it supplies clocks to all other peripherals. The idle mode results
> in decreased power consumption due to the CPU core. Any interrupt
> request can wake the CPU from idle mode.
>
> Deeply annoyingly, it doesn't give actual numbers.
> It gives typical mode power at 200MHz at 259mW, and idle as 124mW, but
> this is comparing between idle mode, and playing a movie, which isn't
> very helpful.

Oh, that Idle mode.  Sorry for the confusion.  That's basically not very
interesting as of now, since it's only an optimization when the device
is actually running.  As of now, our focus is on getting suspend/resume
working, esp. with the interaction to the GSM side.

Saving power while the main CPU is running is an entirely different
issue, and completely unrelated to any suspend/resume.