Debug port changes.

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Thu Jul 26 18:41:12 CEST 2007

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 10:11:24PM +0100, Ian Stirling wrote:
> Given that the number of debug boards around that use all of the lines in
> the debug connector is tiny, as is the number of P0s, compared to the
> eventual release.
>
> I'd like to suggest that this connector be altered to better enable
> expansion.

unfortunately that is too late for Neo1973 (GTA01 + GTA02), sorry.  We
cnanot introduce changes at this point in time.  THis kind of request
would have had to come six months ago or earlier ;)

The 2008 generation will have an entirely different debug connector.  it
will be externally accessible and have more features.

> Copy of external USB +5V - to enable 'internal' charging and power supply
> through one connector. This would also allow - with a direct battery
> connection in addition - a powered host mode using a SMPS. (if battery
> charger can be turned off in software)

that's not good. The FPC is not capable of high currents, and you would
have to do significant current limiting to protect the actual cable,
connectors and contacts.  Also, this draws from the USB current budget,
so it has to be properly integrated with the USB current limiteer in the
PMU or the like.