AGPS will not work for a wide regions of the world. Possible hack to make it work?

De Gyves degyves at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 00:43:49 CET 2007

On wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

"Assisted GPS describes a system where outside sources, such as an
assistance server (Mobile Location Server) via a network, help a GPS
receiver perform the tasks required to make range measurements and
calculate position solutions."

I think it means that AGPS won't work if the cellular network provider
has not Location Based Services or Mobile Location Servers installed
(currently, most of Asia, Latin America, Africa and several zones on
EU). Even more, sometimes Location Based Services are just available
for a share. This is not freedom.

I think AGPS devices get some little pieces of information from the
GPS satellites, after, it has to be sent to a Mobile Location Server
to be processed, so the Neo1973 will know its position. If so:

- Maybe we can hack the AGPS device so the user can optionally decide
to process the information inside the Neo1973 (consuming additional
battery) if there is no Location Based Service available, or to use
the Location Based Service. This (I think) can be possible by doing
the calculations made on the Location Based Service on the Neo.

Please respond if I am wrong about the disadvantages about using AGPS
that I have listed here or about the possible solution.

--
Víctor-Polo de Gyvés Montero.
(52) 55 2771 2423 (Cellphone in Mexico City)

http://degyves.googlepages.com