JTAG FPC compatibility

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Mar 6 23:41:45 CET 2007

Christoph Löw wrote:
> as someone who is deciding on whether he is going to buy the "Hacker's
> Lunchbox"

It's certainly nice to have. With JTAG, you can recover your Neo
even if you've clobbered u-boot. It's also useful for low-level
system debugging.

The debug v2 board also exports JTAG and serial on a regular 100 mil
headers, so you can use it for other projects, too. There are cuter
and probably cheaper JTAG alternatives out there, though.

> I was wondering if the supplied FPC to connect the debug
> board to the NEO1973 will:
> 1) work for all future hardware revisions of the NEO1973?

We're not particularly fond of the FPC connector on the Neo side, so
this may change in the future. Either by replacing it with something
better, or by adding a second (external) connector. Or maybe just
make it easier to access.

However, this is just something we're thinking of for the future.
We'll see if this works or not. In any case, if we keep the FPC
connector, we will try to retain compatibility.

There can be no planned obsolescence, only technological progress :-)

- Werner