GSM modem - just ERROR

Nils Faerber nils.faerber at kernelconcepts.de
Thu Mar 15 17:17:16 CET 2007

Carl Worth schrieb:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:26:09 +0100, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
>> Excellent. That means it works! Which is more than it does here
>
> Oh, if success reports are useful:
>
> I was able to complete calls in both directions with my device. I
> dialed from another phone, got RING, issued ATA and the other phone
> acted as if something answered. I also dialed from the neo and made
> the other phone ring.
>
> I didn't get any audio in either direction, (could that something
> simple like mixer levels being set wrong?), but, yeah, the fundamental
> GSM stuff seems to be working here.

Yes, like my other question regarding audio playback you have to setup
mixers using alsactl:

# alsactl -f /etc/alsa/gsmhandset.state restore

should do the trick.
Though here my microphone input was very weak (almost too low for the
other end to understand me). If you open up "alsamixer" (when logged in
via ssh) you can tweak the mixers.
Somewhere near the very end of all the mixers (darn! There are dozens ;)
is some "amp left" and "amp right" setting. This improved volume for the
speaker to an acceptable level.

But I did not find a useful way to enhance the microphone level.

BTW: The mentioned bug regarding too low/too hig sidetones on the
pahse-0 devices does not seem to be that serious. If the mic level would
be better I found the quality pretty acceptable!

To this extend: How is the ringer supposed to work?
I guess that the CPU will play some sound via /dev/dsp. Which mixer
setting and volume control will control an audible speaker?

Not that ringin would be anything near to important - it is just
annoying. But I heard of rumors that some people still use it ;)

For the others control of the vibrating alarm would be nice.. hmmm...
how does that work? Oh oh, so many details ;)

> -Carl
Cheers
  nils faerber

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535