Debug board - giving up

Nils Faerber nils.faerber at kernelconcepts.de
Wed Mar 28 16:09:08 CEST 2007

I think I found the JTAG problem!

The debug connector on the NEO is broken (and was all the time - I
always thought the smal spot I saw to be litle dust). Now I used a lamp
with magnifying glass and saw that in fact one of the upper pins of the
connector is bent upwards and shining between the contacts. I think the
lower half will still have contact with the FFC but the upper half will
for sure cause a short circuit between two signals.

I'll see if I can fix this... but it is so damn SMALL!

At least it seems that the device itself is not broken.
It is simply deaf because it sticks its own fingers in one ear;)

Press thumbs!
Cheers
  nils

Harald Welte schrieb:
>>> openocd will refuse to start (or rather: exit soon after starting) with
>>> a message stating: "check power" if the JTAG is somehow not connected
>>> correctly.
>> OK, I just verified that with Florian's NEO, the JTAG does work, just
>> not with my NEO :(
>
> ok.
>
>> Did the different voltage selection probably kill my NEO? I fear not!
>
> Just send the devices (debug board + neo) to me, instructions will
> follow in private mail.
>
>> I feel so ashamed... me idiot :(
>
> Well, it's an easy mistake to make.  You wouldn't by any chance be
> interested in working on the 'firmware partition image header' concept
> and adding the required bits plus write a userspace tool for the host?
>
> This way we could prevent this from happening again, at least as long as
> DFU is used.  If you're interested, I can describe what we have in mind.

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535