Debug board - giving up

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Wed Mar 28 16:55:38 CEST 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 04:09:08PM +0200, Nils Faerber wrote:
> I think I found the JTAG problem!
>
> The debug connector on the NEO is broken (and was all the time - I
> always thought the smal spot I saw to be litle dust). Now I used a lamp
> with magnifying glass and saw that in fact one of the upper pins of the
> connector is bent upwards and shining between the contacts. I think the
> lower half will still have contact with the FFC but the upper half will
> for sure cause a short circuit between two signals.
>
> I'll see if I can fix this... but it is so damn SMALL!

Just send it to me, I'm confident I can do it here.

> At least it seems that the device itself is not broken.
> It is simply deaf because it sticks its own fingers in one ear;)

Tony: What kind of QA controls do we have for optical inspection?

Production lines here in Germany usually have _really_ high resolution
CCD cameras and pattern matching software to detect stuff like missing
components.

Something like a bent contact on a connector is probably only detected
safely by an electrical test.