GTA01 schematics

Nils Faerber nils.faerber at kernelconcepts.de
Thu Feb 7 14:16:08 CET 2008

Jaeger schrieb:
> Hi Michael,
Hi all!

>> We are not able to do so at this time.
> That's a pity, because I would like to find out, where the problem comes from, that the battery is empty within a few hours.

That is quite "easy" to explain.
There are several problems in GTA01 that currently prevent a decent
standby time - and please only look at standby aka suspend to RAM, not
runtime.
First of all the standby has, to what I know, not yet been thoroughly
checked and optimized with all drivers. All infrastructure is there and
drivers are assumed to behave but they might accidentially do something
wrong which causes power drain. It hapened with another device at us
where in standby mode a GPIO from the CPU has driven a signal against
another I/O chip which caused 14mA extra.
Catching those problems is very hard and takes a long time.

But we are seeing more problems in standby with the NEO.
Which version of board do you have? Do you have a red one or green one?
Or in other words, did you buy the NEO or were you one of the lucky ones
that got it for free?
The red board has the problem that there is a non-debounced transistor
too many causing the modem to be reset in standy mode which again causes
the modem to draw extra power. You would have to remove that transistor.
If it is a green board then this does not apply.
But still with all GTA01 boards we have the problem that the modem
firmware does not yet properly support low-power standby modes (which is
supposed to be supported but needs a firmware update). This caueses a
major power drain which you cannot fix, even with knowing the schematics.

> But anyway, if you are interested in having a look at the hardware schematics, also from the GTA02 hardware, from someone independant, I would be delighted to do this.
>
> My references are designs of modules with S3C2410 and S3C2440 controllers with the corresponding baseboard:
> http://www.digi.com/products/embeddedsolutions/connectcore9m.jsp
>
> Best regards
> Joachim
Cheers
  nils faerber

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535