Music Player - UI question

Sean Moss-Pultz sean at openmoko.com
Fri Apr 20 08:01:07 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 18:20 +0200, abraxa at dar-clan.de wrote:
> Hey guys =)
>
> According to http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Music_Player the UI for the
> music player consists of the main screen, the playlist select screen
> and the default directory browse screen. Now what's unclear to me is
> the way the music files are to be selected. The browse button in the
> playlist screen is supposed to only select the default playlist
> directory - but what does that directory contain? Pre-defined
> playlists that the user then can choose from?

The short answer is yes. The long answer is that we were planning on
using a simple directory based structure for phase 1. So there would be
something like music/playlists/* and you would store playlists there.

Phase 2 we were planning on doing something more complex. Do you have a
better idea now?

> If that's the case the question is how the user can create and modify
> such playlists.

Well the finger app (the one you linked from above) wasn't planning on
having this ability. The idea was to keep this simple. The full media
player:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Media_Player

will have this function.

> My suggestion is to add another screen where the user can add files
> to/delete files from the playlist he/she currently selected. Also I'd
> add another button to the main screen which would bring the user there.
>
> Any commments/ideas/suggestions?

This would be possible. But it's goings to involve file browsing which
is probably a stylus option. But again, I'm totally open to changing the
way this works.

-Sean