License?

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Tue Feb 20 00:53:13 CET 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 12:32:27AM +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> Great, that seems to quite clear and a good choice.  If the license
> headers in the code are aligned with those recommendations, that would
> solve my concern.

good.

On a sidenote:  Just to let you know how serious FIC/OpenMoko
Inc. is about this:  Our contracts actually include explicit wording
with regard to all our work being licensed under GPL or LGPL, or if it's
a contribution it will be licensed under the original license of that
project.

> >>  *  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
> >>  *  it under the terms of the GNU Lesser Public License as published by
> >>  *  the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the license.
> >>
> >> Is it LGPL version 2 or version 2.1?
> >
> > LGPL 2.1, we need to fix this. Mickey?
>
> Also note missing '(or any later version)'.

thanks once again.

> >> When I look inside panel-plugins/openmoko-panel-battery/, the COPYING
> >> file contains GPL v.2 but the files say LGPL v.2.
> >
> > This is a bit of a difficult case.  technically, the matchbox-panel-2
> > applets are shared libraries.  But legally, I would consider them like
> > applications and would like to have them GPLv2 licensed.
> >
> > Mickey: How is the mb-panel-2 code licensed?  how are applets usually
> > licensed for it? Does it make any suggestions on how applets should be
> > licensed?
>
> Matchbox itself appear to be GPLv2+ according to:
> http://projects.o-hand.com/matchbox/

good.

> If I understand the situation correctly, I'd prefer GPL for applets,
> because these "libraries" don't provide an API for other
> libraries/applications.

I completely agree.  It should be GPLv2 (or any later) just like most of
our other code.

> If matchbox itself is GPL, using LGPL for your matchbox applets is
> probably not an option, though.

It is.  Any installation and/or distribution of matchbox-panel plus the
plugin applet would then be automatically GPL, but somebody could
theoretically still use that specific panel applet from some other
non-gpl software.  doesn't make sense technically, thouggh.