Application UI Design Recommendations

Jeremiah Flerchinger jeremiah.flerchinger at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 22:48:44 CEST 2007

pauric wrote:
> Jeremiah " why not just double-click to double-click? that seems far
> more intuitive to me (or don't use it at all)."
>
> I feel openmoko app designers should avoid double tap like a plague of
> one thousand fire ants in your underwear, its a problematic
> interaction on sff screens.  Its a desktop OS method for launching
> apps, and it suits that world.  It is not used on any of the Zaurus
> OS's (sharp, qtopia etc) that I've played with and it wasnt used on
> the early palmOS.  It requires the user to be quite forceful on the
> screen, e.g. try to gently tap twice on your desk/screen.. but do it
> quickly, it doesnt really work.  Also, it requires a lag after single
> taps - to check see if it will become a double tap.
>
> If there is ever a scenario where a single tap might cause problems
> and you want to avoid accidents, use a confirmation dialog.
I'm actually a fan of not using the double-click at all and think a
single click is sufficient for opening files, directories, applications,
etc.  Everything is accomplished on my computer with a single click and
the double click is treated like 2 separate clicks.

Basically, I don't see the benefit of the separate actions "single-tap
would equal a single click" and "tap&hold would represent a
double-click."  Why not use the single click for both actions and free
up the tap&hold to represent a right-click?  A separate single-click and
double-click representation is not really required to operate a system.