Application UI Design Recommendations

Jeremiah Flerchinger jeremiah.flerchinger at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 20:38:34 CEST 2007

pauric wrote:
> Jeremiah "ouble-clicks are more common to desktops and filesystem
> browsing. The appropriate behavior can be used in the appropriate
> instance. Again I think we're just arguing over names, when event
> behavior is the real issue"
>
> I'm compiling the mapping of interactions to actions that were
> discussed this week.  One thing that is still open is Double Clicking.
>
> While I agree with some that openmoko should allow
> designers/developers to do what they want.. here is a little anecdotal
> evidence from some user research I did for my day job:  As users
> switch between the desktop and the web, and as more web apps for 2.0
> (and look like the desktop) I see a lot of web users double click on
> links (both text and icons)  While this doesnt break anything on the
> web, I think it might be confusing is some openmoko apps utilise
> double-clicking and others simply use a single tap to open/start/call
> etc
So they're double clicking when only a single click is required?  It's
true this doesn't really matter for web links, but can cause a problem
on the desktop if they start multiple instances of an app by double
clicking when only 1 is required.  I actually recall seeing several
people do this, initially, after I changed my desktop behavior.
> Should the wiki be updated to explicitly state 'double tapping should
> be avoided'?
I personally am fairly indifferent.  Double-clicking is what the average
person is used to doing.  Is it better to go along with their
intuition... possibly, if just to avoid people opening multiple app
instances.  The allowed delay between taps to register a double-click
could always be increased to reduce the argument of fast clicks making
people push harder.  3/4 second between presses to register a
double-press should be plenty.  Either that or we can just suggest for
developers to eat clicks that occur too rapidly in the same spot.

 From what's been discussed, so far, the behavior I like is as follows:
  Press & Drag in window, list, etc - scroll/pan in that direction
  Press & Drag on icon in file browser, selected text, etc - drag that
selection
  Press in/on window, list, button, link, etc - basic action:
(typically) a simple single-click like event (press button, follow link,
open list or select list item).  Another example would be open opening
contact detail in address book.
  Press on icon in file browser - open the file or execute app
  Extended-Press in window, list, etc - advanced events:  can either
open a dialog with advanced options or execute some default action
(place voice call to selected contact in list) with a cancel dialog/message
  Extended-Press on icon in file browser, selected text, etc - open
dialog with advanced actions: cut, copy, paste, rename, delete,
properties, edit/customize, etc.
  Extended-Press & Drag - select all icons, text, files, etc between
initial & final position.

No-Press vs Press already have associated color/image changes.  A 3rd
visual change should signify the initiation of an Extended-Press.