scrolling & text selection problem..

Mike Dransfield mike at blueroot.co.uk
Thu Jul 19 21:40:53 CEST 2007

pauric wrote:
> I have a question about some of the gestures on openmoko.  I havent
> been able to get the spinning widget gesture working in the executable
> binary.
>
> We talked about defining something like the iphone flick to scroll
> around lists.  Which is great, but how then would you scroll around a
> long piece of text in an editor and select some of that text for
> copy/paste?
Maybe we could have an internal mode which is either
'navigate' or 'select' (in a similar way to how kpdf works).

The default could be navigate, but when the keyboard is
shown it would go into text select mode.

If the mode was built in as a global variable then additional
apps could be written which allow an advanced user to switch
between the modes without opening the keyboard.

Even though this may sound complicated, I think it could be
more intuitive than a sequence of taps and drags and it would
keep the default as navigate which is what people will probably
spend most of their time doing.

Regards
Mike