[matchbox] Merge openmoko-keyboard changes

Daniel Willmann daniel at totalueberwachung.de
Wed Jun 13 23:49:17 CEST 2007

Hi,
(restoring cc)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:59:23 +0100
Matthew Allum <mallum at openedhand.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 21:34 +0200, Daniel Willmann wrote:
> > First I would like to give a short overview about the changes made
> > and why we need them.
> >
> > 1) Functions to set/get a background image
> > 2) Functions to set an image for the background of the keys (normal
> > and pushed)
>
> Both are needed/good, though I would say one thing to remember is that
> you cant guarantee/fix the size of keys nor the keyboard itself.

Yeah, I'll need to remove some "realsize" features in there

> Therefor;
>
>   - Idealy the background image should scale or tile. (being clipped
> if larger than keyboard window size)

Tiling/scaling should probably be configurable.

>  -  The keys are probably best made up by have a series of tiles that
>     make up the keys - e.g 4 corner images, 4 edge images (which are
>     again tiled or scaled) and finally a center image (also
>     tiled/scaled).

Okay, sounds good. I thought about corner/edge images but it seemed to
be too much work for the benefit it gives us. On the other hand you
really do want to have nice corners. :-)

> This probably all need to be set in a separate 'theme' config file to
> that of the layout files. Ideally XML based too. The theme file would
> also define colors for keys when not

A separate theme file sounds great. Does that mean that the <options>
part in the layout file is obsolete? It looks like mostly theme stuff
goes in there. We should also define the colors for the font there.

Should the theme be selected in the keyboard layout or should there be
a command line option or both? I'd go with having a default theme
setting and optionally specifying one in the keyboard layout.

> Do you also intend to use the current image painting code contained in
> matchbox-keyboard or bring in new dependencies ? Would *much* rather
> use existing image code - it should be enough.

I'd rather not bring in more libraries and I think the current code
should suffice.

> > 3) We currently have some special buttons (see
> > http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Input_Method#Appearance_.26_Interaction )
> > that switch the layout of the keyboard around. Of course having a
> > separate layout for caps is silly, but it is for example useful to
> > display a numpad. If you have a better way of doing this please let
> > me know.
>
> Right - the below fixes this though right (and would be good - I've
> been meaning to add this for quite a while).
>
> > 4) The layout switching would be implemented like this:
> > <layout id="foo">
> > With corresponding keys that trigger the layout being:
> > <key>
> >   <default display="F" action="layout:foo"/>
> > </key>

Okay, great. Thanks for the pointers.

Regards,
Daniel Willmann