Usability Team & User Centered Design Proces

Jon openmoko at snowulf.com
Fri Oct 19 00:00:29 CEST 2007

On 10/18/07, Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19/10/2007, Thomas Wood <thomas at openedhand.com> wrote:
> > OK, so we have a couple of user requirements:
> >
> >  * New Message
> >  * Inbox, Drafts, Outbox and Sent folders
> >  * Quick Messages (Templates)
> >  * Preferences (delivery reports, save sent, others?)
>
> personally, i would do away with the inbox/drafts/outbox/sent
> paradigm, it dates from when we all had piles of paper sat on our
> desks, and disrupts the flow of a conversation. numerous times i've
> had people reply to a question, have forgotten what the question was
> and had to go dig in the sent folder to understand the context of
> their reply
>
> gmail got it right when they introduced threaded e-mail as the default
> way of displaying messages, and iirc, the jesusphone does similar with
> texts.
>
> by all means allow the user to display sent and received messages
> separately if they want, but the default imo should be to put them all
> together
>
> Hey.  Threads sounds idea good idea to me.  I want to say that someone
recently started doing this for text messages (iPhone?), except they made it
to act more like an IM conversation (but it was a thread none of the less).

As for the lack of main menu's.  Is there any screen shots to demonstrate
how this works?  I realize that the point is to make everything "Finger"
accessible, which can be done with a main menu (if you ask me) or not.  I'm
just interested in how you get to where you want to go as quick as
possible.  The only thing I can think of is the messaging applications
"home" screen being the inbox/outbox/thread view, which options for
preferences and new message somewhere (button on the bottom?).

-Jon