Text Messaging Application Design

Joshua Layne joshua at willowisp.net
Wed Oct 24 17:30:14 CEST 2007

Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Joshua Layne wrote:
>
>> I would like to "message" Patrick without thinking about whether to text
>> him or IM him,  Would it be possible to check status on yahoo (for
>> example) and if online, send over yahoo, if not, send over SMS?
>>

> This would be entirely possible - we would need to integrate a support
> for sending & receiving SMSes using the SIM card of the phone, and
> prioritisation of IM over SMS. It might pose a problem for a user who
> thinks they're sending an IM, and ends up paying 6c for an SMS, so
> clarifying the workflow to ensure that the user knows that they're about
> to pay for something.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave.

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply.  I think as long as it was fairly configurable, it
would be fine.  Giving the user the option to never send SMS would
probably be the best way.

On Wengo specifically - does it leverage Telepathy or is it a total
rewrite (not making any statement as to which was first....)  Telepathy
also seems to do much of this - just no SIP.

Regards,
Josh