Cacao jvm on openmoko

Jim Huang jserv.tw at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 10:42:30 CEST 2007

Hello list,

I am glad to share my progress about porting CACAO[1] to openmoko
GTA01 target.  CACAO is a free JVM implementation which uses
Just-In-Time (JIT) compilation to execute Java methods natively, and
it gets ARM support recently.  The porting on openmoko is working, and
please take a look over my blog post (aggregated in Planet
Classpath[2]) for details.
  http://www.advogato.org/person/jserv/diary.html?start=6

At least, "Hello World" level Java applications[3] are executed by
CACAO arm jit engine, and I manage to let gtk-peer (GNU Classpath's
Gtk+-2.x based AWT and Swing implementation) work on openmoko, which
implies that free Java SE is possible for openmoko.

There are some necessary modifications against CACAO.  I am about to
throw patches to CACAO and here later.

Best Regards,
Jim Huang aka. "jserv"
Website: http://jserv.sayya.org/

[1] http://www.cacaojvm.org/
[2] http://planet.classpath.org/
[3] The testing materials could be obtained via
http://c1.complang.tuwien.ac.at/cacaowiki/Nokia770Howto