Cacao jvm on openmoko

Scott Oberg scottoberg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 20:46:17 CEST 2007

Hi Jim,

Jim Huang wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am glad to share my progress about porting CACAO[1] to openmoko
> GTA01 target.  CACAO is a free JVM implementation which uses
> Just-In-Time (JIT) compilation to execute Java methods natively, and
> it gets ARM support recently.  The porting on openmoko is working, and
> please take a look over my blog post (aggregated in Planet
> Classpath[2]) for details.
>  http://www.advogato.org/person/jserv/diary.html?start=6
>
> At least, "Hello World" level Java applications[3] are executed by
> CACAO arm jit engine, and I manage to let gtk-peer (GNU Classpath's
> Gtk+-2.x based AWT and Swing implementation) work on openmoko, which
> implies that free Java SE is possible for openmoko.
Cool, thanks for the heads up.  The MIDPath project may give our work
of fixing phoneme basis profile 1.1+ to build for gtk+ a jump start.
Also, I heard from Johannes Eickhold that Clemens Eisserer submitted a
google SoC proposal to work to

"Improve the phoneME JVM, to integrate well with Maemo and GPE
enviroments".

If your work will compile or target more than just the OM device, then
feel free to submit your bitbake recipes to OE's bug tracker for
approval.  Otherwise, you could also submit your devl. work to the
http://projects.openmoko.org/projects/java-pkg/ svn repository.

Communication is via java-pkg at yahoogroups.com until the
mailing list becomes available.

In the mean time, I started to generate a patch for the phoneme basis
profile to build for gtk+.  The java classes should compile using my
patch, but some native methods still need fixing.  I haven't bothered
to post the patch to svn, but I will if anyone's interested in
collaborating.

Scott

http://projects.openmoko.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/oe/packages/phoneme-advanced/phoneme-components_3878_svn.bb?rev=8&root=java-pkg&view=log

# SO: basis and personal profile info at:
# http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=210309&#210309
# afaik: as of r3878, the personal profile 1.1 supports qt
#       as of r3878, only the personal profile 1.0 supports gtk+
#       as of r3878, only basis profile 1.0 (not the latest i.e. 1.1+)
supports microwindows a.k.a nano-X