Fwd: debian etch chroot, fix!

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at hrw.one.pl
Fri Aug 3 23:05:10 CEST 2007

Dnia piątek, 3 sierpnia 2007, Brian Brunswick napisał:

> Having received the big black box on Monday, I've had time to do a
> little playing, and the first thing I came across was finding that
> standard debian-compiled arm binaries didn't run.

I was curious when someone will try to run Debian binaries on Neo...
Remember that mixing hardfloat (Debian) with softfloat (Neo) does not
warranty any results. Some software will work, some will fail, some will
give you wrong results (even calculators). We had that problem before
with Zaurus users which tried to run SharpROM compatible software under
OpenZaurus.

> Might I suggest that this change would be well worth while putting
> into the standard package, since its extremely useful to be able to
> just grab debian binaries to experiment with libraries and toolkits.

With OpenMoko 2007.2 you will be able to grab Ångström packages and do
tests does it works or not. There is also 'armel' unofficial Debian port
which will be more or less compatible.

> If they end up being used in the final distro, we can of course
> recompile them with the openmoko toolchain to use the soft float
> and the standard C library.

OE already contain quite big amount of software - its just a matter of
build it.

--
JID: hrw-jabber.org
OpenEmbedded developer/consultant

             chaos, panic, packet loss - my work here is done!