Race condition? (was: RE: Icon problems when running in x86 chroot)

John Seghers jseghers at cequint.com
Tue Aug 21 03:47:46 CEST 2007

Following up to myself...

John Seghers wrote:
> Alexandros Karypidis wrote
> > When I try to run OpenMoko in a Xephyr window on my x86 box, the display
> > comes up with the icons missing. I get the following messages in the
> > chroot shell from where /etc/X11/Xsession is launched:
>
> I don't have an answer for you.  I just wanted to chime in that my x86
> chroot version works exactly the same way as yours--icons missing.

I have a theory about this, though nothing more than intuition to back it up
at the moment.

I've always gotten this problem when running the desktop build in Xephyr. I
had not seen it in QEMU, though some others have commented that it does
occur.

Until today, I'd not seen it happen on the actual hardware.  It happened
once today.  I tried ssh'ing into the phone, killed the X session (and the
dbus deamon it launches) and restarted X using

/etc/init.d/xserver-nodm start

And the icons showed up.  So it wasn't a bad image (as I'd always kind of
thought).

It sounds to me like there's a race condition somewhere.  On the desktop,
the icons always lost the race, but on the emulator and hardware they
usually win.

That may also be the case with the Keyboard button at the top of the
screen... It's usually there, but sometimes it's missing.

Now, it may be that this only happens on 2007.1 and that 2007.2 will simply
leave this issue behind... or it may be something that needs to be
addressed.

- John