Adding Applications To OpenMoko The Right Way

Lars Hallberg lah at micropp.se
Wed Aug 29 18:41:15 CEST 2007

Robert Schuster skrev:
> You dont need to understand the OE setup to 'write an application'. You
> need to understand it, if you want to package it and put it on the root
> image.

And this is something we as third party developers normally don't want
to do... if I understand correctly.

Only the core team (and some low level hackers) want to build there own
image. The rest of us build software and publish the source... maybe
package it in ipkg package and put them on the web so it's easy for
everyone to install them to there machine, to replace or add new features.

If packages later should go in to the main repositories, or the oe
repository someone will have to package them for oe. That need not be
the developer. If the developer use autotools I think it's helpful
enough :-) To be really helpful, the developer can accept build system
adjustment upstream to ease packaging for oe/om.

If they end up in the main repository or even on the distributed image
is all a up to the core team anyway. Right?

/LaH