YAMA - Map Application intended for OpenMoko
asch at freemail.hu
Tue Dec 4 23:21:28 CET 2007
I am developing a GPL map viewing application.
Project home page is: http://yamamap.wiki.sourceforge.net/
It has three main versions:
* Java-Swing for desktop
* C#-Windows.Forms for .Net CF, Windows desktop and Linux desktop
* C#-GTK# for OpenMoko (and Linux desktop)
The program already works on PDA's (at least on my own PDA :-)).
Unluckily I have no OpenMoko phone yet though I have initiated the
project for this device.
It has an own map format optimized (pursuant to performance) for mobile
devices. First I have imported some free (as free beer, not as free
speech :-() maps of my country and neighboring countries but I could not
get the permission of the map owners to redistribute their maps in Yama
format (maybe later). Now I am working on an OpenStreetMap importer.
Concept details of the importer are here:
Today I have imported a part of the OSM map to YAMA's native format.
I have packed a demo application with this map:
The pack contains the map files and two executables (they must be
started in the directory where they are unpacked so they will find the
map and configuration files):
* yama.jar: can be started with (Java runtime needed): java -jar
o handles: left click, right click, left drag, right drag and
* yamaGtk.exe: can be started with (Mono runtime needed): ./yamaGtk.exe
o handles: left click
Some map objects are not rendered correctly, it is just a proof of concept.
I would be really happy to get feedback about the Yama project:
* Do you like the concept?
* Do you have any suggestions?
* Would you like to participate the project? :-)
* How could it work on an OpenMoko phone? (If you are the happy
owner of a real OpenMoko capable hardware you could also try to
execute the GTK version on the phone)
More information about the openmoko-devel