mail and contacts app

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sun Feb 4 20:09:54 CET 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 12:24 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> > > Other than that could camel-lite have been integrated with eds-dbus. The
> > > maintainers of eds-dbus where not interested in the changes, sadly. I
> > > tried though.
> >
> > So this possibility is completely dead?
>
> For what I'm concerned, no. In fact, I'd be very happy to cooperate and
> collaborate with eds-dbus.
>
> On the other hand, I'm not prepared to wait for months to get trivial
> changes accepted. The tinymail project is being rapidly developed and a
> lot changes to the camel parts of it are still needed, and are being
> done equally rapid.
>
> And because the camel part of evolution-data-server isn't in any
> interesting way integrated or connected with the rest of the eds
> framework, only in a political way, it's also not *very* important
> either.
>
> You can really take or copy the "camel" directory out of it, and compile
> the library without the need for any other component (except some shared
> functionality in libedataserver, which is the part that is statically
> linked with camel-lite in tinymail's case, and that few code is
> available in tinymail's camel-lite too).
>
> > > On the other hand does tinymail *need* the changes. Tinymail will not
> > > work without the changes and tinymail wouldn't be tinymail if not with
> > > the changes. The libtinymail-camel also uses a lot of the new API that
> > > have been introduced by the changes.
> > >
> > > But it's all *new* API. Keeping the old API functional.
> >
> > Also, could you elaborate on how tinymail could support SMS text
> > messaging and other phone message types. How could this be done? What
> > are your thoughts on this?
>
> A project like making this possible would certainly be interesting, I
> think. It would involve developing a few custom tinymail components
> though.
>
> Unless the message format is RFC822 of course. In that case it will come
> down to just implementing some code for retrieving the list of messages
> (a so called summary) and (or all) the messages themselves.

Ok, this is very interesting and seems doable. Also, I think these
changes would be welcomed across the board for anyone who would want to
use Tinymail on hybrid devices that also have phone capabilities.
Regardless, one could add SMS support as well through some library and
get that benefit on their. That would be pretty rad indeed to have SMS
on my desktop ;) At least one could be able to send via sms, but
problems arise in receiving...maybe there is a library for this?

I guess the next step would be to outline the steps more clearly for how
to add this support and get some comments from paid OpenMoko devs. on
this...?

Jon

--
Jon Phillips