Software Emulator

Richi Plana myopenmoko at richip.dhs.org
Sat Feb 17 21:58:07 CET 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 21:35 +0100, Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:
> > I guess what I'm trying to ask here is that IF qemu can be made to
> > emulate the Neo1973, THEN what must be done to do so and, more
> > importantly, will FIC spearhead it? Because if not, then hopefully
> > some
> > enterprising and talented group of people might take it upon
> > themselves
> > to finagle qemu to be a Neo1973.
>
> We're working on this now. But it will be another 2-3 months.

Wow. That's actually more than I expected. Having come from a company
that does embedded development work (but had not always access to
hardware emulators), I can tell you that this will bring on-board more
opensource devs than would have been likely without it. There's a good
feeling to seeing a natively compiled binary running even on a virtual
device.

It should also help debugging. We used to to generate 2 libraries /
binaries whenever we'd deliver embedded engines (one x86 and one
native). For the most part, we could only test the x86 binaries (since
we didn't usually have access to hardware or even software emulators). A
lot of the bug reports that were opened passed for the x86 binaries but
would have failed had we but run them on software emulators.

Thanks for the reply.
--

Richi Plana